Monday, October 1, 2012

Pirate Latitudes

Pirate latitudes

A posthumous novel by Michael Crichton. Word is he worked on it for quite some time but never finished the book. It kind of shows. Unlike his other books this one doesn't have any science nor the historical research that is usually related. At least compared to Timeline. That's the impression that I get. 

It was a thrilling enjoyable story. It reminds me a lot of Treasure Island but with more violence. And sex. It seemed like the ending happened quite abruptly. I guess this is the result of this being an unfinished book. There were hints of Patrick O'Brian but without the detail in the sailing and nautical terms. The raid on the fort was unimaginably easy. And Sanson was really like a superhero. Killing multiple enemies single handed without any injury to himself. 

Overall I enjoyed the story but it was a bit below average for a Crichton story. 

At the end of my notes I wrote: giant octopus/squid/kraken. Why? 

I'm not sure how this fits into the story but seeing how the bit didn't stick into my memory I'm guessing it didn't really fit into the story.
blog comments powered by Disqus