Thursday, September 27, 2012

Bottlemania

Bottlemania

I'm not sure what I thought this book would be like but it was nothing like I expected. Not that that's bad.  These genre of books, this one included are interesting tales with interesting facts.  What happens after you read it, well I guess that depends on the person.  In my own situation, well, like in the past I'm left wondering just how much any changes I make to my life will help or hurt the cause.

As a disclaimer. I drink quite a bit of bottled water. My work provides us with 1.5L crystal geyser bottles to drink. I go though one a day. But when able I drink tap water. 

This was an interesting book. From the lady who wrote Garbageland. Seeing how that mostly focused on only one landfill, Fresh Kills, it follows that Bottlemania was about NestlĂ©, their Poland Springs brand and Freyburg, Maine. Should water be allowed to be privatized? Should corporations be allowed to bottle and sell water that had been used for municipal water? 

Like many other books of this type I've read there are no black and white answers. 

Interesting facts. Tap water is safe for all but 20+ million Americans.  This is mostly on small water areas or Indian land. 
The homeowner is responsible for maintaining their water lines in their dwelling. A possible source of contamination. 
Pepsi and coke and others filter municipal water to make their bottled water. Is it better than tap? Probably. But bottled water is not required to release the results of water quality tests. So sometimes it might be better. Other times the same or worse than tap. 

On the faucet filters are better than gravity flow, ie pitchers.
blog comments powered by Disqus