Monday, April 11, 2011

Blue at the Mizzen

By Patrick O'Brian
 Pg. 262

At last. Number 20. The last book in the series. The last finished book that is.

Picking up right after the last book Jack and company finally make their way to Chile to help liberate the country. What follows is a standard PO'B story. Descriptions of sailing, repairs made, training of the new midshipmen. Really nothing new. If anything the later books in the series have very little ship fighting. Though this book takes place during peacetime so not much can be expected.

We are treated to an aging Jack Aubrey, although I believe the book time frame is only 15 years or so the sailors have a hard life. Injuries abound as well as the occasional bout of starvation and dietary deficiency. Like the title says the book ends with Jack recovering from battle injuries weeping tears of joy at learning he is to sail to the South African station and once there hoist his flag, blue at the mizzen. I tear up writing this. First with joy that these characters I've gown to love during the past two years have reached their goal, well Jack has, as well as the sadness of ending the series.

I would highly recommend this series to anyone who enjoys well told tales and deep, interesting characters.  I enjoyed seeing the interaction between Jack and Stephen. Dare I say I looked forward to reading more about Stephen than Jack?

This isn't really a series you can pick up and read any one book. I've said before but this series reads as one long book. And there lies the only problem I have. I've never quiet gotten used to the abrupt scene changes from one paragraph to another with no space break.  But I learned to accept it. If you were to ask me my favorite book(s) in the series I am at a loss. They just don't stand out.

Story wise I enjoyed the campaign in the Mauritius, sailing after whalers in the Pacific, heading towards the Spice Islands, the on shore descriptions of preparing the ship for sail. Stephen. The ship battles were usually exciting and suspenseful. Unfortunately they tended to end after a few pages and often mid-battle at the denouement of the battle and that was the end of the book.

Going into this series I knew next to nothing of sailing. Yet knowledge of sailing is not needed to appreciate the story. A dictionary and Internet access are a help to define many of the archaic terms. If you have the time and dedication, again, I highly recommend this series.

Eventually I'll make time to read the PO'B biography and some of his other books that came with the set I purchased. Maybe I'll even try book 21?
blog comments powered by Disqus